Theatre Technical Assistant (summer student)
JOB DESCRIPTION / DUTIES
The Technical Assistant is responsible for assisting in the operation and maintenance of the theatre and equipment such as lighting, sound, projection, rigging and usage of general tools and equipment. The Technical Assistant assists with load-in/out of sets and equipment, provides technical support as required, and adheres to technical requirements, policies, and procedures, health and safety regulations. Must be available to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends.
Reporting to the Technical Director, the RCA expects the Technical Assistant to:
- Participate in load-ins, lighting hangs, sound installations and strikes
- Participate in the mounting, rigging and maintenance of scenic and technical elements
- Participate in technical activities during rehearsals and performances, including stage management, lighting, scenery, sound, property construction, scenic art, and wardrobe
- Monitor stage, auditorium and theatre equipment safety procedures, checklists/systems
- Maintain safety and cleanliness of all backstage and technical spaces
- Effectively communicate and correspond with RCA staff and clients
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience and knowledge in stage management, lighting, scenery, sound, and other technical aspects of live theatre preferred
- Skill in organizing; ability to self-start in discharging responsibilities
- Must be self-motivated
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish/maintain effective working relationships with employees and public
- Ability to formulate and enforce strict safety plans for all participants and patrons
HOURS OF WORK
July and August 2017: between 30 – 40 hours per week. Must be flexible and able to work evenings and weekends.
Wednesday, June 21, 4:00 pm
Technical Director, Rotary Centre for the Arts
421 Cawston Avenue, Kelowna, BC V1Y 6Z1
We thank you for your interest in employment with the Rotary Centre for the Arts. Due to anticipated volume, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.